The Brown Memorial Library was opened September 28,1935. The building was the former home of the Dr. W. G. Brown family. Their daughter, Miss Ann Brown, bequeathed it to the Village of Lewisburg for the specific use as a library upon her death in 1934. In her will, she gave the property and all of her family's books, numbering about 400, to be used for a public library. The first librarian, Mrs. Charles Mumma, was paid $15.00 per month. The original, Flemish bond-style masonry building dates back to 1830 and has undergone remodeling projects in both the mid-1950's and 1974. An addition was added in 1989. In 2014 a renovation project was completed to provide patrons with more space and amenities and transform the library into a community & educational meeting place.